Sunday, October 23, 2011

Rob Ryan: judging books by their covers

On Friday I received an early birthday card from my mom. Surprise! A Rob Ryan card that I had admired in the Saatchi Gallery gift shop when I first moved to London and my parents were visiting. Apparently, my sweet and sneaky mother bought the card that day!

The first time I saw Rob Ryan's work was in an airport book store. I bought John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things because of it's gorgeous, whimsical cover and read the modern fairy tale during my travels.



A few years later, I read Dara Horn's The World to Come because it was recommended to me on Amazon and had a familiar, cut-paper cover. Finally, I discovered This is For You, a stunning, romantic book comprised of Rob Ryan's prose about love intricately cut from paper. The introduction reads, "If you believe in love, but find it difficult to explain--this is for you." When I found it years ago, I bought this book for my mother and now that she's sent me my own Rob Ryan piece, we've come full circle.



Enjoy Rob Ryan's portfolio and visit his Etsy shop!
www.misterrob.co.uk
www.etsy.com/shop/misterrob

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for book recommendations, I am excited to read all of these!

    ReplyDelete